Happy New Year to all our esteemed clients and visitors of this blog. We are proud to announce that our 5-star rating blog is full of ambition, renovation projects, and success! We have been very busy. However, it will not make us stop what we love doing!
Since the last talk and the end of the bottom of the grand staircase, I started a table project. After creating a model in Sketch Up, I went to buy oak timber directly from a sawmill. I started by edging the pads to remove the sapwood and defects, and to select my pieces. Nico (workmate) thank you for the help! Hours later, the necessary boards were ready to move on the jointer.
Fast forward, Nico and I then planed 4 feet poles to move from one section of 12 x 12 cm (gross) 10 x 10 cm (planed). I had then aligned to cut the same length. The four legs are ending, Melanie came as reinforcements to help me planning the boards. Having no chip vacuum, we laid a carpet workshop in the wood. Then I invested in a brilliant – but very expensive tool, a Festool Domino. This creates the false stand with impressive precision. That looks like the beast.
And here was the first try that helped assemble the feet by 2:
After a sound collage we noticed a slight difference between the sleepers and poles. This corresponded to the thickness of the plate since the table legs were to be apparent above.
After that, each board was grooved to the router, and a 10mm plywood tab was inserted into each junction, along the entire length. Oak reinforcements were screwed from below to improve the stability of the assembly. Romaine came to help me to glue it all, thanks to him! The next day, after the glue had dried, I sawed the board and had inserted it into the previously created structure. The wood wedding tray ended, and I liked it immediately! I then cut the last missing pieces and assembled them the same way.
Finally, after many hours of sanding, spackling a few knots, treatment with xylophene then three coats of matt clearcoat, we placed the table in the house. On a serious note, I was very proud of the result. My first table, 2m 20 x 1m 05, solid oak was eventually complete.
A project that I liked, despite the thirty hours it consumed. The table remained until Christmas to Mr. Cordova, and then she went to her new owner in Regina. This job was labor intensive so I was very happy that I invested in a professional planer-jointer. I decided to sell my Lurem C200 (jointer-planer only). The table was a reflection of what it can achieve. If anyone is interested, kindly pull the trigger and let me know!
After this mega project, we tackled the living room. Melanie took care of the painting. Several years ago we lived with the underlay of gypsum board, which frankly was not the most beautiful effect. A gray “dove”, very soft, had covered the entire room. The interior integrated living room furniture assumed a darker gray color…we had to do something and bring life back to the weird place!